Skip to main content

Dude Bro: Bro, Dude

Here's the thing:
Cis women never got too big on the “sir” or “mister” kick.
Young or old (especially not young, thank God),
they said it so rarely that it was an actual shock when they said it.
It is a different tale with men.
Many men are slaves to the binary;
they literally cannot converse without resorting to
Dude
Bro
Man
Sir
Mister
Pal
Buddy
Bud
and Brother,
Over
and over
and over again.
I have never been so humiliated.
They profess friendship just because they think I'm a man
(a dude, a brother)
(and probably, too, because I'm white).
If they knew the truth,
and they never knew me as anything but a woman,
the lectures would be longer.
The coupons would be wronger,
and the eyes would be looking me up and down like they were a child and I was a fucking Christmas Tree.
And if they knew I was a trans lady, well,
fuck.
I'd be screwed, hammered down with carpenter nails on the floor until I bled to death.
(That's not all of them, but c'mon,
I'm gonna live to 40.)
They avoid the women, the cis women.
They want to find solace in their bros.
They want freedom from women,
while also staring them down like that fucking child's Christmas tree.
Like the presents underneath.
They are scared like babies.
I am no one's brother.
Honestly now I'm not even sure if I'm anyone's sister.
(Even if that's more accurate.)
Let me walk in peace,
even if that means walking alone.
And please never disgust me,
butcher me,
or pollute me
with those heavy barbed synonyms again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Go Bad

Sun Valley Grocery wasn't far from the local mall. The name of this mall is unimportant. It was home to more than three dozen retail businesses, not counting the built-in carousel, the massage stands, and the various food and antique vendors who hosted their shows there. The businesses dropped and swapped out on a regular basis, though there were some mainstays that had been there for generations. Among these was a clothing store by the name of Harpin's. It was a family place, run by the Harpins since before the First World War. The family was even still involved with the business, unlike a lot of families who once founded such enterprises. They had about the same distance from the store's operation as a producer has from the movies they work on, but they did cameo now and again to see how things were going. People treated it with the dignity a small business deserved, though the growth of the great apathy disease had its impact there, too. What matters is that they

Richards

It was him or Tavvy. And Tavvy deserved to live. He deserved to live too but she had had enough. If his last act on this Earth was to spare her a little suffering he would die honorably. Kevin Claude was a good man and he wanted to end his life good. And giving up his life for another was pretty damn good. It was Mrs. Richards. She was infamous at this point. The rookies heard about her early on, speaking in hushed whispers, like she was a ghost or something. In fact, there was a theory, one which Kevin had believed for a time, that she was a ghost—a ghost who could write checks. She came in regularly—once a week, usually on a Saturday—and her appearance never changed. Same clothes, same hair. She followed the same routine every time when it came to collecting her groceries. (Checkout was always a little different each time.) That was what ghosts did, wasn't it? Played out the same events over and over? It made Kevin wondered if he was a ghost. He could take the repeti

Memories

When our childhoods come back, the natural problems of memory distort the image to make it wrong . Think of how many nostalgic memories you have that you know, deep down, didn't happen the way you remember. Maybe it's one lie you told yourself. Maybe three or four. Maybe the whole thing is made up. I don't blame you. I had a good childhood but if all that people have of your own is a fantasy then all I can offer is a hope that your abuser, whether they're a person or a system, dies and burns in Hell. I have lived my life so focused on nostalgia that my day-to-day living has become full of holes in the present, just as there are holes all throughout my past. The future, that sea of infinite possible timelines, is probably nothing more than a Sea of Holes. And here we have the first personal node— Yellow Submarine was the movie I watched the most growing up. I had an LSD-soaked childhood and it braced me for a similar adulthood. The hippies who were the firs